Engineering Education and Research Center, University of Texas, Austin
Architect: Jacobs Engineering / Ennead Architects
Contractor: Hensel Phelps Construction Co.
Construction on the $310 million center began in 2015, was completed in August 2017, and opened in September 2017. 9 stories tall and containing 433,000 square feet of open and flexible space, the center serves as a central location for all engineering student services. The center is organized into two, limestone and glass towers connected by an enclosed, three-story atrium. The atrium is covered by a perforated sunshade canopy that spans the area between the towers, creating a light filled, vibrant space in the heart of the building.
- LEED Silver (pending)
- Fabrication and Supply of 240 perforated ceiling panels for the atrium, open area varied between 10% to 70% from panel to panel with all panels mounted into a perimeter frame.
- Preliminary materials selection, manufacturing, scheduling and budget estimation
- Fabrication of Mockups
- Engineering and Design
- Scheduling and Planning
- Illumination Award of Merit, 2019, Illuminating Engineering Society
- Best Project – Higher Education/Research, 2018, ENR Texas & Louisiana
- American Architecture Award, 2018, The Chicago Athenaeum
- Excellence in Structural Engineering Award in the New Buildings over $100M Category, 2018, National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA)
- Outstanding Project in the New Buildings over $100M Category, 2018, National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA)
- “Inside UT’s New 430,000-Square-Foot Engineering Education and Research Center”, Nov/Dec 2017, Alcalde
- “Cockrell School of Engineering – Education Research Center (EERC) / Ennead Architects”, 20 October 2017, ArchDaily
- “Ennead Architects’ Engineering Education and Research Center Opens At The University Of Texas”, 11 October 2017, Blouin Artinfo
- “UT celebrates grand opening of Engineering Education and Research Center”, 29 September 2017, The Daily Texan
- “UT’s Cockrell School unveils $310M research and education hub of the future”, 28 September 2017, Austin Business Journal
- “Industrial meets very cool: UT’s $313.7M engineering building debuts.”, 26 September 2017, myStatesman
- “Take a Look Inside UT’s New 430,000-Square-Foot Engineering Education and Research Center”, 25 September 2017, Texas Exes
- “Ennead Architects Reveals Designs for Engineering Center at University of Texas at Austin.” 15 July 2016, ArchDaily