Las Vegas, Nevada
Architect: Gensler, KPF and Hargreaves Associates
Contractor: Perini Building Co and Tishman Construction Corp.
A gargantuan project, covering 68-acres of Las Vegas Strip frontage and costing over $9 billon, CityCenter was a design collaboration between MGM Resorts International and eight internationally acclaimed architectural firms including Pelli Clarke Pelli, Kohn Pedersen Fox, Helmut Jahn, RV Architecture LLC led by Rafael Viñoly, Studio Daniel Libeskind, David Rockwell and Rockwell Group, and Gensler. The 18-million square foot (1.67 million sq. m) metropolis is one of the world’s largest sustainable communities, with its own fire station, on-site power plant, and facilities for living, shopping, dining, gambling, parking and numerous other amenities. As the world’s largest private green development, CityCenter has received LEED Gold certifications from U.S. Green Building Council for 6 of its buildings: ARIA, Vdara, Crystals, Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas and Veer Towers.
ELEMENT provided specialist custom materials ranging from custom pots and stainless steel planters for the Mandarin Oriental, special outdoor metal wall panels and custom stainless steel grating at the rooftop pools on the 37th floor of Veer Towers.
- City Center earned 6 LEED Gold certifications
- Materials: Stainless steel, cast aluminum, structural steel, galvanized steel, machined components.
- Design Review
- Preliminary materials, manufacturing, engineering, scheduling and budget estimation
- Presentation of options and solutions, including schedule, scope and budgeting aspects of various options
- Engineering analysis, calculations and submittals
- 3D Modeling
- Design, fabrication and installation options and analysis
- Prototyping and Samples
- Landscape Design, 2010, National Design Awards
- Pinnacle Award Of Merit Award, 2010, Marble Institute Of America
- Best Project: Development Category, 2011, Commercial Property Executive’s Distinguished Achievement Awards
- Best Commercial Project, 2009, Design and Building with Forest Stewardship Council-US (FSC-US®) Awards
- Gold Award and Sustainable Design Award in the Innovation Design and Development of a New Project, 2011, International
- Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) U.S. Design and Development Awards
- Merit Award, 2010, American Institute of Steel Construction IDEAS2 Awards
- Excellence in Concrete Award, 2008, Las Vegas Chapter of the American Concrete Institute
- “City Center Las Vegas: 6 LEED Gold certifications”, 25 Feb. 2010, ArchDaily
- “City of the Strip”, 12 March 2010, Architect Magazine
- “Building It Big in Las Vegas”, 26 May 2009, The New York Times
- “City Center”, 16 Aug. 2010, Architectural Record
- “City of the Glammed”, 27 Jan. 2010, The Architect’s Newspaper
- “Las Vegas, USA – MGM’s $8.5 billion development, CityCentre”, 1 April 2010, The Architectural Review
- “Tishman Completes Las Vegas’ $8.5 Billion CityCenter Project”, 16 Dec. 2009, World Property Journal