Seattle Children’s Hospital
Contractor: Sellen Construction Co.
To better serve an ever-expanding network of patients, Seattle Children’s Hospital set out to build a new campus in Bellevue, Washington. The resulting building, designed by Seattle-based NBBJ, successfully serves several constituencies simultaneously. ELEMENT worked with NBBJ to provide a wide range of exterior shading and decorative metalwork for the exterior of the building.
Working closely with the client and future staff, NBBJ placed great precedence on the building’s overall effectiveness towards alleviating patient anxiety. This was achieved through the use of plentiful skylights, views of the multiple rooftop gardens, limiting exposure to intimidating medical equipment, and installing artwork that appeals to all ages.
The project also excels in the adoption of sustainable construction practices. The building features optimized overhead shading, lighting controls and sun shading screens, all of which helped the project achieve LEED Gold certification.
- LEED Gold
- Materials: Woven stainless steel mesh, aluminum grating, timber, stainless steel and structural steel.
- Design, fabrication and installation options
- Prototyping and Samples
- Fabrication of mockups and samples
- Staging and Delivery
- Healthcare Design Award, 2011 AIA Academy of Architecture for Health
- Delivery Process Innovation, 2011 AIA BIM Award
- Merit Award 2010, AIA Seattle
- InAward Design in Healthcare, 2010 IIDA, Northern Pacific Chapter
- Best of the Year, Healthcare, 2010 Interior Design magazine
- “Health Care Goes Lean and Green,” March 2012, GreenSource
- “Beautifully Lean,” October 2011, Contract
- “Factory Efficiency Comes to the Hospital,” 9 July 2010, The New York Times
- “Benefits of Reinventing the Wheel”, February 2010, Structural Engineering & Design
- “Seattle Children’s Bellevue Clinic / NBBJ”, 18 Aug. 2011, ArchDaily
- “Seattle Children’s Bellevue Clinic and Surgery Center by NBBJ”, 13 Nov. 2011, Contract
- “Seattle Children’s Bellevue Clinic’s green roof pays dividends”, 5 Oct. 2016, Health Facilities Management Magazine
- “Seattle Children’s hospital set to open new Bellevue clinic”, 20 June 2010, The Seattle Times